Teachers and parents, you are about to be persuaded! And this time it’s not only about why the latest and greatest StayFIT Bodyweight+ fitness equipment, manufactured in Maple Valley, WA is ideal for age 13 and up. No, this time we need to talk about why it’s important to encourage teens to think “outside the box” when it comes to workouts.
More and more people are flocking to the indoor gym. Even our high schools now have state-of-the-art workout rooms. The rise of athletic clubs has been growing and they are becoming more and more fashionable with young adults; That is, for those who can afford them.
As young kids, many of us played outside, but as we reached our teen years the idea of outdoor exercise was typically limited to a jog around the block or a bike ride. It seems as though fewer teenagers are exercising than ever before, unless they are in an athletic sport at school and many who are in a sport during one season are sedentary the rest of the year. An outdoor gym just might be just what your teen has been craving.
I am a fan of outdoor workouts so there is no need to persuade me. That’s not to say I don’t exercise indoors too. I pump iron inside several times a week and I love it, but going outdoors for workouts accomplishes much more than just body-building or weight-control. Outdoor workouts are fun for all of us, but especially for our kids.
Let’s brainstorm. What are some advantages to outdoor workouts for teens?
• An outdoor workout is a great idea for a creative date (who knew?)
• It’s something different to do when they get bored of the electronic device.
• It’s the perfect thing for teens to do when they want to hang-out with friends.
• StayFIT equipment pairs well with pool parties, and a bit of exercise competition can be fun too.
• During an outdoor workout, a friendly squirrel may come for a visit or an interesting-sounding bird may fly overhead. (Now that’s not likely to happen indoors!)
• An outdoor workout is refreshing when there’s a light rain.
• Outdoor workouts are the perfect way to get a suntan.
Now that you’ve been persuaded, how about asking your teenager? I’ll bet they will surprise you at the number of reasons why an outdoor workout is a great idea.
Are outdoor workouts really better for teens?
We know that exercise produces endorphin (a natural chemical that can reduce stress and depression.) This is especially good for our teens, but is an outdoor workout better than an indoor workout? We agree that indoor workouts are good, but the outdoors might have even greater benefit. Here are some things to consider:
• Outdoor exercise generally costs less than a gym membership or purchasing special home equipment for your teenager.
• The fresh air is good for body and mind.
• For those who enjoy being outdoors, it may be easier to stay committed to a workout program if it’s done outdoors.
• In some cases, germs and bacteria are more likely thrive on indoor workout equipment because of the controlled temperature and limited air movement.
• Outdoor workout equipment is convenient. It can be used for a warm-up before a run or bike ride, and then again for stretching afterwards.
Outdoor workouts are a great idea and nice change of pace for teens or anyone who knows the fun of exercise. Regardless of the place they choose to exercise, it is still better to have a workout at least a few times a week than not at all.
The website Safeteens.org lists other benefits of exercise. It mentions the importance of strengthening bones when a person is young to reduce the chance of osteoporosis when they are older. Also, exercise can reduce high blood pressure, lower the risk of diabetes, and help with better sleep. It also warns that young people should not overdo it when exercising. Their bodies are growing. Depleting their energy can have a negative effect. Low-impact weight-training equipment, such as StayFIT Bodyweight+ might be a better option in many cases.
StayFIT outdoor workout equipment is designed to be used by schools and parents to help teens get the exercise they need to stay healthy…and maybe spend a bit more time outside.
We hope you’ll take the time to read more about the benefits of outdoor fitness and exercise equipment suited for teens. Please share this blog and the StayFITsystems.com website with those who might be interested.